Sunday 12 May 2013

Nightmare in Silver Review

Nightmare in Silver is by Neil Gaiman. Yes, Neil Gaiman who wrote the amazing The Doctor's Wife. So coming in to this episode I came in at very high hopes. And I had every right to have high hopes. So this episode was amazing. First let's go to the plot.

So the Doctor with two kids and Clara goes to a theme park. Yada yada yada yada and the cybermen are almost in the Doctor. What?!!! Wasn't expecting that. That was amazing. I loved Matt Smith playing Mr Clever. I remember him saying how he would like to play a bond villain and boy does that come out. So it gets to a point where the Doctor and Mr Clever are playing chess. The Doctor ends up cheating. Oh sorry using advantage of the local area and puts gold on the terminator part of his face.

Mega Fan (Me): OMG The Doctor just used gold just like Ace did in...

New Cybermen and Cybermats sorry Mites are introduced and destroyed.

So let's talk about the design and about the new cybermen. Well I love them. Their laser isn't sticking out and they've just scraped completely the cybus industries idea. My only issue is there their speed. I like how they're flexible, it adds a more human feature to them. But don't make them that fast. Why didn't they go super fast at the beginning. Sorry knitpick. But apart from that I love their design and the way they move. They remind me of bacteria always learning how to improve. I think the cybermites are also great and there was one survivor after the explosion...!!!

So let's talk production.

Director, Steven Woolfenden does a great job at showing the amount of the cybermen. Probably the only reason why the Cyberman moved so fast was so he could show off. And boy did he do a good job at it. Neil Gaiman, the writer adds great dialoge to the story. I especially liked the bit with. Kanny Comical Castle. The set design also did a great job. Did anyone else notice the collector had all the aliens from the Rings of Akhaten.

Now let's talk characters.

First let's talk about by far the best character in this story, The Doctor. Matt Smith does a great job as playing Mr Sweet and The Doctor and he's probably done almost as-well as he did in the rings of akhaten. Neil Gaiman so obviously wrote this for Matt Smith. Each scene you couldn't take your eyes away when your he was on screen.

Now let's talk about Angie. God I hate her. I don't blame Neil for this though, I blame Steven. It was Steven who created her and Neil couldn't change her. So she had to be wrote as some moody teenager. Who is just so rude and annoying. But in any episode she would be like that.

Now let's talk about Angie's brother. He was nice. Yeah not much else. But sometimes you don't need a complex character take Brian. He was nice. I quite like Artie. Is that his name? Anyway I'm sure he is relatable to the kids.

How about Clara. She kind of sucked. She came out as quite irritating and rude as commander. But she clearly wasn't meant to be the centre of the story. Which is fine because she did have some nice scenes.

Porridge. Ahhhh Porridge. Porridge is played by Warick Davis and he is so sweet. I felt so sad for him when he proposed to Clara. He was just really nice and had some great scenes.

So overall I loved this episode. There a few knitpicks but nothing too big. So I'm going to give this episode 9/10. Which means this is the best episode of the series so far! Bye.



No comments:

Post a Comment